G.Info:State of the Environment - Georgia - Water
Most Polluted Rivers
- River Mtkvari
- Within Tbilisi (principal pollution comes from Tbilisi communal waste water discharge)
pollution from organic substances exceeded Maximal Permissible Level (MPL) 1.5 times, phenols - 11
times. nitrous ammonia - 4 times.
- Within Rustavi (pollution comes from metallurgical, cement and "Azoti" factories) phenols
exceeded MPL 12 times, - 11 times, organic substances - 1.5 times
- River Mashavera - near the settlement Kazreti (polluter - Madneuli mining kombinate)
copper pollution levels exceed limits 220 times, zinc - 65 times.
- River Kvirila - pollution sources are industrial group of "Chiaturmanganumi" and
Zestaponi factory of ferrous compounds. Pollution index in 1992 was 4.09, class V. Average
concentration of phenols exceeded limits 16 times.
- River Tkibula - pollution comes from the waste of Tkibuli coal processing. Pollution index
in 1992 was 3.21, class IV. phenols concentration was 14 times MPL.
- River Ogaskura - pollution comes from Kutaisi automobile factory waste water. Pollution
index was 4.2 in 1992, class V.
- River Kubistskali - pollute by Batumi oil refinery. Average oil concentration exceeded
MPL 2.4 times, maximal - 4 times. It should be mentioned, that compared to previous year the pollution
level was 9 times less. This is a consequence of sharp reduction in production activities.