Some portions of the Kolkheti lowland are intact due to the difficult access, or slightly modified.
The territories are occupied by:
1. Marine sandy-pebble coast vegetation, which are located at the narrow strip along the coast-line. According to the peculiarities of the substrate, following groups could be met:
2. Grass Sphagnum Marshes: this sort of vegetation is currently most wide-spread near the lake Paliastomi, and is represented by sphagnum mosses Sphagnum imbricatum, S papilosum, S. acutifolium, relict sedge Molinia litoralis, boreal elements Rhynchospora alba, R.caucasica, Carex lasiocarpa, Lucopodium inundatum, Menianthes trifoliata, Drosera rotundifola, Rhododendron ponticum, R.luteum, Smilax excelsa, Osmunda regalis, etc.; although it should be mentioned that Kolkhic elements are not dominating. In addition one could meet here: Frangula alnus, Potentila erecta, Lysimachia vulgaris, Solidago turtosa, etc.
3. Rush marshes: currently Kolkheti wetlands are dominated by these habitat complexes and use to occupy large areas. These wetland types are dominated by Carex acutiformis, C. vesicaria, C.pseudocyperus, Juncus effusus, J. inflexus.
4. Reed marshes: these habitats are far less wide-spread than Rush marshes and they are of more localised nature. The reason is the ecological peculiarities of dominant Phragmites australis. In these habitats along with Phragmites australis dominant Typha latifolia, T, angustifolia, Scirpus lacustris, Juncellus serotinus, Cuperus badins, etc.
5. Scrub-grass marshes: in difference with rush marshes these are inhabited by Alnus barbata, besides, one could meet in these types of wetlands habitats with Hibiscus ponticus and habitats of tertiary relict origin.
6. Alder marshes, where Kolkhic hircanic relict Alnus barbata is absolute dominant, one could mention that these are the most basic, primary formations for the whole wetland territories. In upper level more frequently in comparison with other species one could meet Rhododendron lutem, R. ponticum, Ruscus ponticus, Ilex colchica, etc.
Floating plant species are represented by Lemna minor, Spirodela polirhiza, Salvinia natans. Other formations are also wide-spread: marine salt water species, like Ruppia spiralis, R.maritima, Zostera marina and brackish water species, like Myriophyllum spicatum, Potamogeton pusillus, P. natans, etc.
It should be mentioned, that the vegetation of Kolkheti wetlands, and particularly their current status is not well investigated.
The Kolkheti wetlands are interesting also from zoological point of view, but relatively weakly investigated. These territories are important as breeding, resting, wintery and nursing sites. An incomplete list of bird species one could meet here is prsented below, but it should be stated, that currently it is not possible to indicate even quantitatively approximate figures. Since last 15 years there has not been performed the monitoring . Sea area is important for marine mammals. It is still possible to meet here all the Black Sea dolphin species here: Tursiops truncatus, Delphinus delphis and Phocoena phocoena. Other important mammal species are Canis aureus, Felis silvestris, Lutra lutra, Sus scrofa, Capreolus capreolus. Among the fish species it should be mentioned Mugil cephalus, Trachirus meditereneus, Scoptalmus maeotcus, etc.