Ecological Condition of Soils
The total area of Turkmenistan is 88,100 square kilometers, 73 percent of this are plains, 15 percent mountains and foothills, and 12 percent water surfaces and non-soil formations (boulders, stones, rocks and precipices). The northern and central parts of the territory include the deserts of Turan lowland - Central, Zaunguz and Southeastern Kara-Kum - (about 80 percent of the territory).
The area of land in Turkmenistan is distributed among velayats in the following way: 28.4 percent in Balkan velayat, 19.9 percent in Akhal, 17.7 percent in Mary, 14.9 percent in Dashkhovuz and 19.1 percent in Lebap.
In Turkmenistan, the land is used predominantly for agricultural purposes (81.93 percent) and state resources (11 percent).
Agricultural lands are predominantly pasture type (95.97 percent), and irrigated lands make up the remaining 4.03 percent.
Sources of Information:
The statistical books of "Environmental Protection and Rational Use of Natural Resources in Turkmenistan" for 1990, 1994, 1995, 1997 by National Institute of Statistics and Forecasting of Turkmenistan.
Data of the Research and Production Center of Ecological Monitoring of the Ministry of the Use of the Natural Resources and Environmental Protection of Turkmenistan.
Data of the Ministry Agriculture and Water Facility of Turkmenistan